Founded in August of 2008 and based in San Francisco, California, Airbnb is a trusted community marketplace for people to list, discover, and book unique travel experiences around the world. Whether an apartment for a night, a castle for a week, or a villa for a month, Airbnb allows people to Belong Anywhere through unique travel experiences at any price point, in more than 34,000 cities and over 190 countries. We promote a culture of curiosity, humanity, and creativity through our product, brand, and, most importantly, our people.
Role & Responsibilities
Director, Controller - Airbnb Platform & Payments
In the role of Controller - Airbnb Platform & Payments, the successful candidate ensure that the proper financial systems, controls and processes are in place to support Airbnb as it scales. This includes the development and ownership of policies and procedures to manage new and emerging product launches, platform modifications, mergers and acquisitions, and geographic expansion. The candidate will also lead the organization’s efforts to maintain and continuously improve core accounting and financial reporting processes.
The role requires a well-rounded business leader with broad financial, accounting and operational expertise and a track record of leading cross-functional organizations through large-scale transformation. Excellent communication, resource allocation and project management skills are critical, as well as the ability to influence across functions and levels of leadership. In this role you will manage a multitude of high-value initiatives and will be required to balance the rapidly growing needs of the organization with finance and compliance objectives. The position reports to the CFO of Airbnb Payments.
- Develop strategy for platform and product accounting, analytics, payments compliance/governance and controls. Drive prioritization, alignment and implementation of finance, accounting and risk mitigation initiatives across the business.
- Improve visibility into key platform financial trends and performance metrics, providing readouts and strategic guidance to key business executives, across functions.
- Grow the accounting and financial reporting functions to effectively support the business as it evolves. This includes the development of scalable accounting operations, financial reporting processes, and procedures to ensure proper internal controls and compliance with all financial policies and US/international reporting requirements.
- Partner closely with Product, Engineering, Operations and Business Development to effectively assess and articulate the financial impact(s) of new initiatives (business strategy execution, emerging accounting standards, M&A activities, geographic expansion and other business developments).
- Prioritize and implement key financial processes and controls to scale Airbnb’s payments and financial reporting infrastructure.
- Teach and mentor staff in accounting and finance related issues, including technical accounting GAAP guidance.
- Ensure the integrity of proprietary and 3rd party financial systems and reporting. Identify system enhancements to maximize accuracy and productivity, minimize business risk and reduce operating costs.
- Act as liaison to external auditors and ensure successful and timely completion of both internal and external audits, implementing any agreed upon recommendations.
- 15+ years of finance and accounting experience, including 5+ years of senior management/director level experience in a large multi-national organization.
- 10+ years of relevant industry experience (tech, payments, marketplace(s), hospitality) in a high growth environment.
- CPA or equivalent international certification, with Big 4 accounting firm experience. MBA a plus.
- Strong working knowledge of US GAAP. Proven track record of operationalizing technical accounting standards to satisfy business requirements.
- Experience with large-scale ERP (Oracle, SAP, Workday), monetization and billing systems. Payments compliance and reconciliation system experience is a plus.
- Polished communication skills and executive presence. Capable of translating complex business matters across functions and levels of leadership in a clear and concise manner.
- Aptitude for collaboration and the ability to influence, mentor, and leverage the skills of others to achieve objectives.
- Proven ability to successfully manage complex initiatives with cross-functional ownership.
- Experience in process efficiency and automation, with proven ability to operate successfully in a highly-complex and changing environment with competing objectives and priorities.
- Reputation as a visionary, transformational thought leader. Track record of identifying long-term value add opportunities, developing roadmaps with key milestones and building towards desired outcomes.
- Proven ability to attract, develop and lead a high performing finance organization.
- Passion for and proven track record of training and developing team members.
- Proficient in MS Excel; Experience in SQL, Tableau and Keynote a plus
- Role models Airbnb Core Values at the Leadership level.